Our first stop was Caen where we visited the World War II Museum and watched a really well done film. It was a neat exhibit, unfortunately we didn't have a lot of time to spend wandering and I fell asleep during the movie. Then we drove to Bayeux and visited the Tapestry Museum where we had an audio tour of the longest tapestry in the world. I know it sounds really boring, but it was actually pretty interesting-- it explains the events leading up to the 1066 Norman Invasion of England. After that we just walked around the old town of Bayeux and the cathedrale, it is a really cute Medieval city. We all kind of did our own thing for dinner--then we all met back up at the hotel for card games and Mafia. Usually we play in our hotel rooms, (which end up being smelly and musky with 14 people) but this hotel had an upstairs room where we just played games all night. It was seriously the funnest night all together since we've been in France. We played Nertz then played hilarious games of Mafia. My favorite part was making up deaths for people in the group--they were pretty blunt and inappropriate, but hilarious. So much fun!
The next day we headed to Arromanches, where we saw remnants of artificial harbors built in WWII. Today was a really packed day, a lot of bus time, but I love being busy, and it was the coolest day ever. This Normandy trip was easily the best trip yet.
We went a little further down to Utah Beach, and the same feelings... Here's a group picture of us by the sign and some girls on the beach:
After that we drove to our hotel in Avranches where we had dinner at the hotel as a group, then watched "saving private ryan" that night because we were all in the D-day zone:) This night was also so much fun, a lot of funny stories. The funniest being that my friend Marissa was in the bathroom doing the deed when she hears and sees a rat in the pipes underneath the toilet! haha she was FREAKING out! And it was hilarious. I have it all on video. It was also a lot of fun cuz the four of us girls shared one room so we were just being crazy the whole time, cuddling and laughing. I love hanging out with the group.
The next morning I went on a run with my professor around the old town of Avranches, and so it felt good to finally get out and do something after all the bus time. I love running around these adorable cities. After breakfast we headed for the whole day spent at Mont St. Michel. It was so cool! We had a long time there, maybe too long, but we just roamed the city. It was beautiful weather too... actually all weekend it was great weather, so that just makes everything better! We took an audio tour of the cathedrale and learned a lot. I like audio tours and going at your own pace. So story: Michael moment. As in, I was Michael for the day. Marissa saw this really ugly hat and dared me to wear it for the entire day and she would buy me lunch. a. I could care less--who am I impressing here b. free lunch. Soooo in all my pictures I'm wearing this super asian-touristy, ugly neon orange hat. Everyone thought it was sooo funny. I honestly didn't think it was that big of a deal, but maybe because I didn't actually have to look at myself all day. But everyone in the group got a kick out of it. Group clown. So why did I feel like Michael? Cuz I was the ridiculous guinea pig and getting paid for it.
So a perfect ending to the past couple of perfect weeks. It was so beautiful yesterday and today, clear blue skies, about 60 degrees, all sunshine, and that makes me so happy! It's a bummer I have a lot to do this week. I have kind of let my workload pile up these past two months so I need to hit it hard this next month. I'm thinking I'll just do all work no play this week so I can just play the remainer of the time:) Sooo, that's all for now. Feels good to have this all updated so I can start on my homework:) I'll be good this week. I love you and miss you all! 1 month....AHHH :(

Megs, I know the hat was supposed to be a joke, but you look cute in it nonetheless. I'm soooo jealous (not about the hat, the trip, duh). Enjoy your last month!
ReplyDelete